MEXICO: SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE, GUANAJUATO
Service Program or Educational / Cultural Tour
Upon arrival, you'll find that San Miguel is a quaint town in which everything is within walking distance. Within a day you'll likely have become a pro at maneuvering around town from the main square to institutes, galleries, restaurants, shops, the market, the park, and even to and from the orphanage located on the outskirts of San Miguel, a short ride after boarding a bus in the town's center. You'll even be able to find your way back to your new home and new family! Living accommodations generally include breakfast and lunch (the biggest meal of the day). During the mornings you can work at the orphanage, take a language or art class, shop or sightsee. Be home daily around 2 p.m. for an authentic lunch with your family. Nearly any special dietary needs or restrictions can be accommodated with advanced notice. Spend the afternoons at the main square, take a walking tour or guided trolley tour of the town and it's various shops and galleries, relax or swim at the hot springs located approximately 30 minutes away via taxi, bring the orphans to see a subtitled movie, explore the food or arts and crafts markets, take an afternoon class, play basketball with the locals, visit the orphanage, or just SIESTA! Several day excursions are available including trips to nearby towns packed with historical, architectural and cultural marvels, including: Queretaro , Hidalgo Dolores, Guanajuato. Or, further explore all of the things that San Miguel has to offer, including: a day-long, private tour of several artists' studios, spend the day at the hot springs or throw a fiesta at the orphanage and invite all the members of the surrounding community. The delightful evenings can be filled sharing a romantic, roof-top dinner, catching a dance lesson in preparation for a late night of salsa dancing, listening to a live band, enjoying refreshments while watching the sunset, sitting in the main square watching a mariachi band serenade young lovers, street performers, cultural heritage performances or savoring delights including any flavor of ice cream you can imagine while hanging out on a park bench, officially on 'Mexico time'.
Casa Ayuda Orphanage and Community Outreach Center ( www.casaayuda.org ) is a non-profit, secular orphanage/outreach center for over 150 kids and their parents in a province just outside San Miguel. There are always things volunteers can do including:
- up-keep on the house
- odds and ends of various projects
- re-gating the entry
- roofing the workshop
- fixing up the yard
- adding on to outdoor play equipment
- plumbing, electricity
- do an art project
- teach a music class
- tutor adults trying to attain high school equivalency diplomas
- teach English
- participate in the Scouts program
- help engineer the construction of a campground
- any other special talents, abilities you might have to offer!
Trips can also include other areas of study or interest in addition to the service component. For example:
- study Spanish in individual or small group classes taught at several local institutes
- art appreciation; San Miguel is an artists' haven with gallery hopping and studio touring opportunities galore!
- Try your hand at art or further develop your ability with opportunities for even the most advanced artists to take classes at various local institutes and in private artists' studios in many studio art concentration areas including: drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, ceramics, jewelry, textiles, etc.
- Learn to cook authentic Mexican dishes, taught by locals with recipes handed down for generations!
- Learn to dance anything from traditional Latin dances like Salsa and Meringue to African, Modern or Regional dances.
- Spiritual, homeopathic and transcendental educational experiences are also available.
- Opportunities are endless, if you have an area of interest not mentioned above, just ask, and we'll see what we can do.
The program details and itinerary are flexible! Nearly any modification can be made to best suit individual needs and interests. The program can virtually be made to order!
Dates: To be determined by group
Price: The price is dependent upon your customized itinerary. Please contact us for further information.
Travel: Fly in and out of International Airport in Leon , take shuttle van (1 hr., 30 min. approx.) to San Miguel.
Accommodations: Depending on your program, accommodations can range from an intimate experience renting a room from a local family, a B & B, or Hotel. For those participating on the service project, you can also be accommodated at the orphanage if you don't mind bunking with the kids!
Call Pam at 720-746-0748 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org